These are goals that I like
- short-medium term
- with an end date
- with maybe a reward at the end
I am going away to Seoul for a conference on June the 21st. So the goal can encompass both months up till June 21. Then I can toast myself at the airport.
My goals are:
1. Go to Korea with no/ minimal credit card debt (less than $200).
How I will do this:
- The end of April was decidedly un-frugal, with a bit of spending in Sydney. I bought me some pretties - look:
Pullover from Cue. knit Tunic from Veronika Maine.
My problem is that, this year, expenses are up and income is down. Though I must emphasise I am not struggling for cash, I do have to watch it a little more closely this year. I grew up with a single mum, and lived out of home on $300 per fortnight (a good 10 years ago, but still) so I know what it is to struggle for cash, in fact, this motivated me to get into a good profession.
But I digress.
I have to put a lid on the discretionary spending, as I have some nice and not-so-nice but necessary big things I have to pay for.
Here is where I can happily cut back:
- no more new clothes/shoes. Seriously. I have enough of them.
- no buying tickets to expensive gigs/ concerts/ fun runs - with the exception being the Sri Chinmoy race on may 26th. That is cheap and they have pancakes afterwards. Win-win.
- try to bring lunch to work every day. Or if I forget, making it a cheap meal (simple sandwich) or one I can pick up on the way to work from the supermarket. It is quite easy to spend about $13 on lunch, including a drink. That is $65 per week.
- Cook at home when I am at home, and using up what is in my cupboard. Planning meals. Buying cheap, seasonal fresh produce.
- Spend a night in, watching a movie on Fetch-TV. They are usually about $5 or $6 - far cheaper than a movie out. Plus nobody yabbering or kicking the back of your seat.
I am doing a PhD, this takes up most of my working week. I work for actual money 0.3FTE. I need to be a bit more disciplined (ie not piss about on the internet). But if I give myself an end-date for this, I can get it done. I can get on the plane happy.
3. Go for a swim once a week.
I love swimming - it is so relaxing and helps with my sore back +++. It soothes my sore muscles from running. This is a nice goal. I can do this.
4. Get to bed for 10:30 when I am at home and not doing anything. Perhaps even earlier.
I am one of those folks who needs my sleep - 5 hours doesn't cut it for me. Plus it's getting cold and my bed is warm.
I think that'll do.
I shall check in at the end of this month and then before I go off to Korea.
Anything you'd like to do this month?